It’s noisy there. Exciting headlines flood us every minute, every day. You can almost do a full-time job sorting the fun, interesting, helpful memes, feeders, and reels from the ones to get rid of. It’s hard to know what to pay attention to and where to put your energy. With so much noise, chaos, and division, it seems that one of the things we all have in common is relying on the Internet to help us navigate everything that’s going on in the world and in our lives.
But the internet is not working.
I’m not talking about whether you have a wi-fi signal or can connect to the Internet for work or school – in that sense, the Internet does its job for most of us, connecting billions of people around the world. What I’m talking about is Charm. This amazing portal to the human experience has become a place full of misinformation, corruption and greed. And in recent years, we’ve seen those with power – big technology, governments, bad actors – become more dominant, bolder, and more dangerous. This is a shame, because there is still so much to celebrate and do online. Whether it’s enjoying silly videos – long videos of cats – or tackling critical matters, like beating a global pandemic, we all need an internet where people, not profits, come first.
So it’s time to sound the alarm.
The Internet we know and love is full.
Let’s break it up together.
We ask you to join us, and start a movement to create a better internet.
Let’s take back control from those who infringe on our privacy just to sell things we don’t need. Let’s work to prevent companies like Facebook and YouTube from contributing to the catastrophic spread of disinformation and political manipulation. It’s time to take control of what we do and watch online, and not let algorithms feed us what they want.
You may not know the name Mozilla. You Maybe You know Firefox. But we’ve been here, fighting for a better internet, for nearly twenty years. We are a non-profit organization backed with the sole purpose of protecting the Internet. Our products, like the Firefox browser, are designed with your privacy in mind. We are here to prove that you are maybe She has an ethical tech company working to make the internet a better place for all of us. We stand for the people, not for profit.
But we cannot fight this battle alone. Big tech is getting too big. We need you. We need people who understand what it means to be a part of something bigger than themselves. People who love the Internet and appreciate its magic. People who are looking for a company they can support because we are all on the same side.
We know it will take more than provocative language to make this real. That’s why at the heart of this campaign are ways we can all participate in changing the internet for the better. That’s what this is all about: working together to unlock the internet.
To get started, we give you five tangible and shareable ways to take back the good in life online by getting rid of the bad:
- Blame political ads for misinformation: Download a Firefox extension that shares the political ads you see on Facebook to a public database so they can be tracked and monitored.
- Watch The Social Dilemma on Netflix and read our recommended reads from diverse voices: This #1 blockbuster documentary deconstructs issues of the attention economy, and our synopsis expands the discussion by bringing more perspectives into the conversation.
- Get the Facebook Container Extension: Prevent Facebook from following you around the web – which they can do even if you don’t have an account.
- Report bad YouTube recommendations: This extension allows you to report the unfortunate reminders you’ve received, so you can help improve the engine for everyone.
- Choose Independent Technology: Learn more about other independent technology companies and their products. Like shopping locally, using products like Firefox is a great way to vote your conscience online.
We will update the list frequently with new and timely ways in which you can take action, so check back regularly and bookmark or save our Unfck The Internet landing page.
Now, it’s time to go to work. We need you to talk and have it tell your friends, co-workers and family. Tell the world that you have chosen the Internet with your values, and invite them to do the same.
It’s time to unpack the internet. For our children, for society, for the climate. for cats.