- You can convert HEIC files to PNG using several methods, depending on your device.
- On a Mac, you can convert HEIC images by exporting images from the Preview app. On Windows, you will need to use third-party applications.
- You can create a shortcut on iPhone to convert images to PNG and store them in a new Pictures folder.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference Library for more stories.
Apple’s proprietary file format, HEIC, stores high-quality images on iOS devices and offers better compression than the JPG format. HEIC makes better use of a mobile’s limited storage, but it has a downside: it’s not well supported by software on Windows PCs. If you need to convert HEIC files to the more popular PNG format, don’t worry – it’s relatively simple.
How to Convert HEIC to PNG on Mac
Converting HEIC images to PNG is easy on a Mac because Apple has built HEIC support into all of its image software. This means that you can open the HEIC image in the Preview app and export it as a PNG.
1. Double-click any HEIC image. It should open in the Preview app.
2. In the menu bar, tap Fileand then issued.
3. In the issue window, find the appearance and click on the dropdown menu. He chooses beng.
4. Choose where you want to save this exported file.
5. click Memorizes.
You should be able to use this same process to save a HEIC image as a PNG file in any other Apple image program on your Mac, although the exact steps may vary slightly.
How to convert HEIC to PNG on Windows
It’s possible to convert a HEIC file to PNG using Windows image apps, but you need to install additional software to make it happen. You will need the free HEIF Image Extensions app and the paid HEVC Video Extensions app (which costs $0.99) in the Windows Store. If you do, you can open HEIC files in any application and save the file in a different format, such as PNG.
But there is an easier (and free) way. Go to Convertio in a web browser and use this free online file converter to save any HEIC file in PNG format. click Choose files and select the HEIC file you want to convert, then click turns up.
How to convert HEIC to PNG on iPhone
The easiest way to avoid HEIC files on your iPhone is to use your iPhone’s Settings app to save photos as JPG files, fully compatible with the programs on your computer.
1. start the Settings Implementation.
2. handle cameraand then Formats.
3. In the camera capture Select section Most compatible. This ensures that all new images are saved in JPG format.
Unfortunately, this provides you with JPG files, not PNG. If you want your images in PNG format, you need to convert them from HEIC or JPG using Shortcuts app.
1. If it is not already on your iPhone, install the Shortcuts app from the App Store.
2. start the abbreviations Implementation.
3. Click on More tags At the top right of the page to create a new shortcut.
4. In the search box at the bottom of the screen, find “Select photos” and tap Select photos When you see it in search results.
5. If you want to be able to select multiple images for conversion, click Arrow In the Select photos box and run select multi by swiping the button to the right.
6. Find and add Transform the image.
7. In the Transform the image square, tap JPEG (the default format it converts files to) then tap beng in the list of file format options.
8. Find and add Save to photo album.
9. In the Save to photo album square, tap Last And choose the album where you want to store the new PNG files.
10. At the top of the page, tap Save to photo album and label this abbreviation. You can name it HEIC to PNG, for example. handle accomplishment Then press X at the top right of the screen.
To use the shortcut, start a file abbreviations app and tap on the new shortcut. Select the HEIC images you want to convert and click Add. You can then find the converted PNG images in the selected album.