Are you done with your cell phone? Here’s how you can get paid for it

Used cell phones are seen for sale inside a store on January 12, 2022 (Photo by Jakub Porzycki/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

As consumers we are always looking to upgrade our personal items and one of the popular shiny new games that some of us covet is a new cell phone. While buying a new phone is easy, deciding what to do with your old device can be a challenge.

If you don’t want the hassle of owning an extra mobile phone, there are many options out there to make money for it. Here are your options:

Related: Did you get old phones? Here’s how to reuse, recycle or sell it

Sell ​​your old cell phone

Most major cell phone companies offer commercial programs that provide credit to consumers for a new cell phone purchase, including Samsung, Apple, AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, and T-Mobile.

Online sites like BuyBackWorld, Gazelle and Smartphone Recycling. And eBay gives individuals who sell their cell phones a price quote for the device. Once the offer is accepted, the last step is to ship your gadgets to them with a prepaid shipping label.

BuyBackWorld will allow people to sell a new, used, cracked or broken phone. The company will give you a quote for your phone and will mail you a free shipping kit or fill your cell phone with your own packing materials.

Related: Old tech: sell donations or recycle?

Once BuyBackWorld receives your phone, the phone is checked for damage. If there is a disagreement on the price between the company and the seller, a revised quotation is presented, which you can accept or reject. If you accept the offer, BuyBackWorld will send you a cash payment either by check or PayPal within 1-2 business days.

Sellers looking for another option to get rid of their phones can visit Gazelle. The process of selling a phone is also simple. You can visit their website to see if they have the phone you are selling. Once you have shipped your device to Gazelle, they will check it and make an offer for the phone. If you accept Gazelle’s offer for your home, they will pay you.

Smartphone recycling will pay the seller up to $400 for his old cell phone. If the device is damaged or in decent condition, Smartphone Recycling will buy it from you for between $50 and $300 depending on the model of the device. If you sell an “old” flip phone or smartphone, the company will pay you between $.10 and $2.00 for it. Individuals who sell “low-cost, discounted” cell phones can get up to $20 per device.

eBay has a different process that is a bit complicated. There’s a page on their site where you can enter information about the phone you’re selling, including the model, color, and condition to get what the website calls a “common price” for similar or recently sold phones.

After you provide a description of your phone, eBay will ask the seller to upload two photos of the device. Once the price is displayed, choose a shipping method for the phone. eBay uses a fee calculator to help a person determine how much they can make from selling their phone.

GameStop also accepts old cell phones for exchange, offering either store credit or cash. Sellers can stop at any GameStop location and bring their devices. The video game retailer accepts cell phones from a variety of carriers, including Apple and Samsung.

Donate your old cell phone to charity

If you’d rather donate your old phone than sell it, there are charities that accept the devices. But these groups probably won’t actually give your old phones to people in need. Instead, they often sell your phone to recyclers and keep the money.

A nonprofit group called Soldiers’ Cell Phones will take the “gently used” phones and sell them to a recycling company. The proceeds will then be used to purchase international calling cards for soldiers so they can talk to their loved ones back home.

The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence works in a similar way. About 60% of the phones you collect are refurbished and sold. The money goes to support the alliance. According to the group’s website, the remaining 40% of phones are recycled. Shipping is paid for if you mail to three or more phones. The group also accepts other electronic devices such as laptops, video game systems and digital cameras.

Recycle an old cell phone

Recycling your phone is another option instead of selling or donating the device. Earth 911 has a simple electronics recycling program with instructions on their website.

FOX 6 Milwaukee and FOX 10 Phoenix contributed to this story. This story was reported from Washington, DC