After rolling out a stable Android 12 update for the ZenFone 8 in December, ASUS is now expanding the latest version of Android to include two more phones in its portfolio: ROG Phone 5 and ROG Phone 5S. ASUS had previously promised to update both phones to Android 12 in the first quarter of 2022 and the company is keeping its promise.
According to ads on ZenTalk On the forums, ASUS has started rolling out a stable update to Android 12 on ROG Phone 5 and ROG Phone 5S. The new brings together all the notable Android 12 features, including a redesigned quick settings panel, voice picker, privacy dashboard, camera and microphone, location indicators, revamped home screen widgets, and more. On top of that, users can also look forward to ASUS-specific additions, such as a redesigned ROG UI, improved system apps, improved one-handed mode, new splash screen animations, dual control feature for AirTriggers, and more.
Download Android 12 Firmware Update for ASUS ROG Phone 5 and ROG Phone 5S
Android 12 update for ROG Phone 5 has software version 31.0810.1226.57 and weighs about 3.4 GB. Meanwhile, the ROG Phone 5S update brings the software version up to 31.0810.1226.57. Automatic OTA rollout has already started. If you want to skip the queue, ASUS has also provided direct download links to help you install the update manually.
Download Android 12 update for ROG Phone 5
Download Android 12 update for ROG Phone 5S
The official changelog is as follows:
- Please backup your data before upgrading to Android 12. If you want to downgrade your software version to Android 11 using the official software package, it will erase all data from your device.
- Upgrade system to Android 12
- Introducing a new ROG UI design
- Mobile Manager, Contacts, Phone, File Manager, Calculator, Clock, Gallery, Weather, Voice Recorder, Settings, Data Transfer, Local Backup, Setup Wizard, and System Update Apps Revamped
- Combine Wi-Fi and mobile network settings in Internet settings
- Added additional dimmer setting, Drone Detection Attribute Pack and Dual Control feature for AirTriggers
- Modified quick settings panel, notification tray and sound panel to Android 12 design
- The classic style of the power menu has been modified to match the design of Android 12. Separate controller and wallet for independent pages.
- Shortcut option added in lock screen and lock screen settings menu
- Added privacy dashboard, camera, microphone, showing clipboard access, approx access to location, and microphone access features
- ASUS Safeguard replaced with Android 12 Emergency SOS
- One-handed mode integrates Android 12 design and supports more options.
- OptiFlex setup search option removed
- Introduce a new widget page design in Launcher. Adjust the position of the screenshot option and remove hotseat app icons in the overview page.
- Added Swipe to invoke the assistant option for Gesture Settings
- Quick settings layout option removed from display settings
- Added splash screen animations when launching apps
- ASUS Phone has removed support for SIP calls because Android 12 does not natively support SIP calling
- Added “Request overlay permission drawing” dialog when first launching Game Genie
- Removed swipe up function from any position in the launcher, press and release to enter the overview page when using gesture navigation
- Added functionality to go back to the launcher home screen by swiping up from the bottom when using gesture navigation
- Added “Convert Videos to AVC” option in USB Preferences page
- Some third party apps are not compatible with Android 12 yet
- Adjust the color of the icons in the settings of the first layer to the black and white Android 12 design
source: ZenTalk Forums (1), (2)